Friday, December 25, 2009

Digital Photo Hazzle

Today I had again some hard time merging and sorting the pictures we have taken on our trip to Africa using three different cameras.

The bad thing is that all cameras had different times set. So by just copying all pictures together to the same folder resulted in a weird sequence that occasionally really did not reflect the sequence in time of the real events.

Therefore, I first tried Amok Exif Sorter to get the sequence right. I thought it would be the solution to my problem because this program offered a feature that says something like "adjust time". After several not working tests I gave up and had to realize that the Exif Sorter does not really alter the Exif tags in the files but only sorts a list of files according to the adjusted time!

So the next step got me back to Google where I eventually found a tool ("Exifer") that promised to have the necessary power to really change the Exif tags in the files. And indeed it did the job and I was almost happy. To be sure not only a viewer like Picasa can get the sequence right when viewing sorted according to the date tag I decided to again go back to Exif Sorter and also change the filenames to reflect the correct chronological order.

To sum up I today spent almost the whole afternoon to prepare our holiday pictures for easy presentation with whatever program so that the sequence of pictures reflects the sequence of events as we have experienced them.

No comments: